Nature has showered us with a variety of fruits and vegetables which we merge with our creativity and foody instinct. We have labeled almost all the edible ones we know with different names and even sorted them into different categories depending on their differences. There is one vegetable which has one of the highest varieties and is classified into the summer and the winter type, but it really doesn't have anything to do with seasons. It just references the skin, thin or thick. This versatility rests with squash. YES! YES! This vegetable is available in multiple shapes and colors, which also differ in taste. Try this Squash Medley Mix for dinner it is easy to prepare and everyone will love it!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 yellow squash (slicked)
1 zucchini Squash (sliced)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
salt/pepper to taste
Optional: add fresh spinach, broccoli, mushrooms if desired.
1. Heat a large sauté pan on high heat for 1 minute. Add the olive oil to the hot pan and heat it until it shimmers, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the onion, sauté until onions are becoming translucent.
3. Add the squash and zucchini, toss to coat with the oil and onions. Sprinkle Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper over them and toss again. cover, allow to cook, undisturbed, for 1 minute.
4. Add the diced tomatoes. Toss to combine with other ingredients. cover, let cook for 5 minutes. check frequently, squash can over cook quickly.
5. Turn off the heat, add other veggies if desired, the spinach will wilt quickly. Serve immediately.
Note: This makes an excellent vegetable soup base, just add the broth of your choice, cabbage, green beans, or kidney beans.